PRO 10 has identified 57 municipalities and cities in the region as Election Watchlist Areas (EWAs) before the May 14 Barangay and Sanguniang Kabataan Election. EWAs formerly known as election hotspots – are placed under any of the following categories:
Category 1 – refer to areas where there are monitored intense rivalry among
the candidates; history of election-related violence arising from
political rivalries and presence of private armed groups;
Category 2 – refer to areas with monitored intense rivalry among the
candidates, history of election-related violence arising from
political rivalries, presence of private armed groups and armed
Category 3 – has all the critical factors including proliferation of firearms.
We clarified that LGUs on the watchlist do not necessarily have violent incidents already. They are, however, being monitored because of their insurgency problems, rido or clan war, historical political rivalry and the presence of private armed groups which may be used by politicians to advance their agenda.
Following are the election watchlist areas in each province:
BUKIDNON: 2 cities and 14 municipalities
1. Valencia City 2. Malaybalay City 3. Kadingilan 4. Lantapan
5. Talakag 6. Pangantucan 7. Dangcagan 8. Sumilao
9. Manolo Fortich 10. San Fernando 11. Quezon 12. Cabanglasan
13. Malitbog 14. Kibawe 15. Kitaotao 16. Impasug-ong
The New People’s Army (NPA) has presence in Bukidnon. In recent years, rebels and government forces have clashed in Bukidnon, leading to the displacement of indigenous people’s communities or the Lumad.
LANAO DEL NORTE : 20 municipalities
1. Baroy 2. Kapatagan 3. Sapad 4. Bacolod
5. Kolambugan 6. Maigo 7. Balo-I 8. Linamon
9. Matungao 10. Pantao Ragat 11. Poona Piagapo 12. Tagoloan
13. SND 14. Nunungan 15. Salvador 16. Munai
17. Pantar 18. Magsaysay 19. Tangkal 20. Kausgwagan
The presence of private armed group and clan wars are common in these Maranao town. They are heavily militarized to prevent the eruption of violence between clans and even family members. Rido or clan wars commonly occur in Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur.
MISAMIS OCCIDENTAL : 3 cities and 8 municipalities
1. Tangub City 2. Oroquieta City 3. Ozamis City 4. Baliangao
5. Plaridel 6. Lopez Jaena 7. Sapang Dalaga 8. Sinacaban
9. Calamba 10. Don Victoriano Chiongbian 11. Concepcion
In Misamis Occidental, private armed groups exist.
MISAMIS ORIENTAL : 1 city and 8 municipalities
1. Gingoog City 2. Jasaan 3. Balingoan 4. Salay
5. Sugbongcogon 6. Balingasag 7. Lagonglong 8. Claveria
The New People’s Army (NPA) has presence in Misamis Oriental. In 2017 Binuang Municipal Police Station repelled the attacked of 200 members of NPA.
In the last election followers or supporters of contending parties have violent melees.
PRO 10, general election watch-list areas and other election activities will be on constant monitoring by Provincial and City Police Offices, Police Stations and Regional’s Election Monitoring Action Center.
PCSUPT PACLEB, appealed to all candidates and their supporters to be considerate particularly in their campaign venues to avoid clashes between political parties. He also calls on all the candidates to be in control with the activities of their supporters and advise them to adhere to the campaign guidelines set by the COMELEC. Lastly, we appeal the public to be vigilant at all times to prevent unscrupulous individuals and lawless elements from taking advantage of the Election period. We assure our best efforts in order to uphold the security and integrity of the Brgy and Sanguniang Kabataan Election, as well as to sustain peace and order in Northern Mindanao. ###